Mental Health Support

Self Help:


Books on prescription are available from local libraries in Telford. These are books recommended by health professionals for common mental health problems. Ask your local library for help.


Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a form of therapy that aims to alter the unhelpful thoughts and behaviour that commonly occur during times of distress. This therapy is available for free on websites or in person from a therapist or psychological well-being practitioner (see below).


Talking with a Therapist or Counselling Service:


Telford Wellbing Service Counselling or cognitive behavioural therapy is available for free to all Woodside patients by contacting them on 01952 457415 or


You can self-refer to an online programme called Silver Cloud for help with depression, anxiety, or stress by clicking here.


BRANCHES (01952 899206): Strickland House, The Lawns, Wellington, TF1 3BX: offer assistance in a crisis, support recovery by helping/providing a 1 to 1 listening service, drop-ins, and group activities.


Private counselling or psychotherapy support is available by contacting the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy directly at


Further support services are also available.


Mental Health Organisations:


For 24-hour access to services for adult mental health, please call 0300 124 0365.


Axis is for adult survivors of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse. They provide a locally based, accessible, and confidential service for men and women aged 13 and over. You can contact them via 01743 357777 or


Cruse Bereavement Care exists to promote the well-being of bereaved people and to enable anyone bereaved by death to understand their grief and cope with their loss. The organisation provides free counselling and support for bereavement. Their contact number is 0845 606 6812. Alternatively, you may contact them via their website,


No Panic is a charity that offers support for sufferers of panic attacks, phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder, general anxiety disorder, and tranquiliser withdrawal. They are based in Telford; contact them on 0844 967 4848 or visit their website at


Urgent mental health issues or emergencies:


Woodside Medical Practice and ask for a GP appointment, or if out of hours,


  • ShropDoc (6 p.m. to 8 a.m., Monday to Friday; all day Saturday and Sunday, including bank holidays) on 0333 222 6655
  • The Samaritans (24-hour telephone): 08457 909090
  • SHOUT 24/7 (Free Text Service) 85258
  • is a free online chat service.


What can your GP do for you? 


Your GP can: 

1. Refer you to another service such as talking therapies or a specialist mental health team (you can also self-refer without having to see your GP first if you live in England) 

2. Give you the details of a service you can contact yourself, such as a community mental health team. 

3. Advise you on self-help measures such as how to reduce stress, get better sleep, or eat well. 

4. They can also refer you to our Social Prescriber service.